Tuesday, October 23, 2012

October 22, 2012 ~ Was That?

I sat Billy down to dinner and presented him with his plate. There were three things on the plate: hot dog, broccoli and potatoes.

Wait...what? Billy HATES broccoli and HATES potatoes even more! What are you thinking? He won't eat that!

"Here Billy. Here's your dinner."

"Hot dog! Mommy, was that?" he points to the broccoli.

"Those are baby trees. They are super yummy. And they are covered in butter. You are so lucky to be able to eat baby trees. Wow, Billy. That's really cool."

"Butter?" Ah, the magic word.

"And was that?" he points to the potatoes.

"Those are, um," struggling to find non-potatoey words here, "papas!"

"Yes, those are baby papas and they are also covered in butter."

"Butter?" He reaches to take a bite.

Okay, I know what you're thinking here. Papas? Like the Mamas and the Papas? No, silly. For some reason the only thing my brain would do is switch to Spanish. So, now they're just Spanish potatoes. But don't ever say "potato" in my house. Billy will run screaming from the table. They're papas.

He ate a bite of potato. Then a bite of broccoli. Then he ate all of his broccoli. I couldn't get him to eat the rest of the potat... excuse me, papas. But I have high hopes for today.

Yes. I tricked my toddler into eating two foods he hates. And you know what? He liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment