Monday, November 14, 2011

November 13, 2011 ~ Just Put It On Your Head

This morning's breakfast quickly deteriorated into a full out tantrum. I took his binky away. Dear God- no! If he has his binky while he's eating then he plays with his food instead of eating it. So I swiped it to give him a chance to focus on his milk and fruit and cheerios. This started the crying. Then he started flailing his arms so that food was flying everywhere. I put a quick stop to that, which produced loud screaming and red face. So...

I picked up the sippy cup and bowl of fruit and put both of them on my head. In the midst of crying he looked at me, paused, started laughing, then went back to crying. Are you sure? I made the bowl and sippy cup do a little jig on my head. Ok, peals of laughter. When it comes to my kid, the trick is ALWAYS put it on your head. Solves almost any problem.

From breakfast we went to play in the living room. I gave him a music box shaped like a piano to look at. It plays Fur Elise, so I wound it up for us to listen to. He was thrilled that the lid of the piano opened to show a jewelry compartment, containing a manufacturer's card. He put the card in, took it out, repeat. This went on for a few minutes until he got bored. Then he started looking around for something else to put in the piano. We don't keep toys in the living room, so there wasn't anything at hand to grab. Did that deter him? No, he yanked the sock right off of his foot and shoved it into the piano. Hmm, but now his foot was cold. So he took it back out and handed it to me to put on his bare foot.

What next? Well, he decided he wanted to take a bath. He walked over to the tub and climbed right in. This is the first time he has ever gotten into the tub himself. I would show you a photo of fully-clothed Billy standing in the tub trying to figure out how to turn on the faucet, but Daddy is obsessed with Call of Duty 3 right now so photos will have to wait until tomorrow. Anyway, he kept trying to get the water into the tub, but it wasn't bath time. So then he decided to try playing with the sink. His stool is tucked under the sink and he has now figured out how to step up on the stool with it under there and hang off the edge of the sink so he can reach the faucet. Danger for two reasons: a) he could fall b) he can freakin' reach the faucet in the bathroom without aid. Yikes.

After naptime and a quick visit from Grandma we went outside to play on his trike, but he didn't want to take a turn around the court. Nope. He wanted to watch Daddy mow. Much cooler. At first he was terrified of the mower, but then he decided it was cool. He even started picking up sticks and taking them to Daddy to help. I kept picking up Billy and dragging him away from the mower. There were also airplanes and a huge raven soaring in the sky to look at. Pretty cool.

Then we went inside to watch the Ravens game and have a snack. Billy decided that the cheese and crackers would be more fun to feed to Buddy than to eat himself. He would take a bite and then feed the rest to Buddy. This is just his sneaky scheme to try to touch Buddy. Buddy does not like to be grabbed and pulled, so he stays just out of Billy's reach at all times. Of course, Billy invents new ways to get to Buddy. And Buddy, forever on a diet, will do anything to get more food. (He's a 40lb cocker spaniel who should weigh 30lb and no matter what I do never loses weight). After snack he started yawning so I asked him if he wanted a nap. He came over and pushed me. I scooted. He pushed again, I scooted again. Then he grabbed my back. Ok, got the picture. I put him to bed and he went straight to sleep. He was asking me to carry him in to his crib.

After Nap 2 Billy wanted to watch the game in Daddy's lap. Nothing else would do. Daddy sat with him while dinner cooked on the grill. We ate before the game was over- probably a blessing not to have to watch the misery on the field. We rarely all eat together but at Billy's request (yes, he asked with pointing and grunts) we all sat at the table to eat. He got to have the same meal as Mommy and Daddy, which is also rare. I try to feed him low sodium, low processed, low sugar foods and often give him fresh fruit or some kind of vegetable undoctored. I don't freak out if he does get to eat junk, but I try to avoid it. Daddy and I, however, eat more junky food than we should. But that's the life of working parents.

I'll post pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment