Tuesday, February 26, 2013

February 25, 2013 ~ Miscues

If you read my blog regularly then you probably know that Billy is a very vocal two year old with a pretty decent vocabulary. I knows a lot of words and is pretty good at expressing himself.

But now he's trying to use phrases. He uses them correctly, just not in the right context.

Back in the summer we were at Grandpop's. We were outside by the cars getting ready to leave and Grandpop said "Let's hit the road." So, Billy bent down and smacked the pavement.

One of his current favorite words is "either". He loves to end a sentence with this word. "I don't want any juice, either." Or "I don't like it, either." But he's also using it this way: "I also want juice, either." And "I want to go outside, either."

Today Buddy had been sick to his stomach and I explained to Billy that Buddy didn't feel good.

Later we were reading a story. Billy said to me, "Mommy, I don't feel good." I asked him, "Is it your tummy?" Now, just like a toddler, he allowed me to lead him into a false statement. He agreed it was his tummy, but that wasn't it.

He was using "I don't feel good" to mean "I don't want to read this book anymore". I guess he equated boredom with not feeling well. Technically right, verbally wrong.

One thing's for sure, most of the time his miscues end in hilarious results.

~

He doesn't often mispronounce things anymore, although we do still have this one little hang up: Ask him if he wants to listen to music and he will tell you "Yes, I want to hear Moo-Kiss!

But then, if you ask him if you can he peas he will say, "Yes, they are edible."

No comments:

Post a Comment