Friday, December 7, 2012

December 6, 2012 ~ How Did It Come To This?

Today I got roped into hosting the neighborhood Christmas party. I actually enjoy hosting parties. Scratch that- I used to enjoy hosting parties.

But in my fancy clothes, scrubbing pee, crushed peas and an errant cheerio from the bathroom floor around the training potty just moments before guests started to arrive, I asked myself, "how did it come to this?"

Three years ago my house would have been impeccable. I would have had a full spread of delectable holiday treats on the table. Custom Christmas music playlist crooning from my stereo, and every decoration in just the right spot. I would have been dressed up, with makeup on, jewelry, freshly showered and hair coiffed.

That's not how this went down.

I never made it to vacuuming, so the dirt got swept under the rug- literally, hoping that no one would notice. I windexed the coffee table, but realized there was a huge streak. Oh well, it's as good as it's going to get. The office is a mess. It's Daddy's stuff and I refuse to bother. He was told to clean it up. He didn't. So, it's a wreck. Whatever. The best I've got on the music front is a radio station playing Christmas music between commercial breaks. My appetizers are nuts and gummi bears. At least, I roasted the nuts myself- a month ago. I'm dressed, but not showered, no make-up, no jewelry, and my hair is pulled back into a no-fuss ponytail. And as I look around at all of the things that didn't get done but should have, I shrug.

How did it come to this? Motherhood.

Between working and being a Mom, there's no time for the things I would have done. I can't make there be more hours in the day. I can't keep up like I used to. It's just a simple fact. Canapes and santa hat appetizers simply aren't going to happen.

And try as hard as I do... I wonder how those perfectly coiffed Moms throw those big, fancy parties with all of the trimmings. They must have elves on speed dial...

No comments:

Post a Comment