Sunday, May 20, 2012

May 20, 2012 ~ Big Protector Mamma

I don't know if there is a "Be Afraid of EVERYTHING" stage in kids' development, but Billy is in it right now.

Things he fears, in no particular order:
bugs
booboos
freckles
the dark
dog hair
the lawn mower
giraffes
something not being "mine"

I'm sure there's more, but this is what I can think of offhand.

A few days ago he had his first about of fear with the dark and needed me to sleep by his side with a protective arm around him the whole night (lost our power- no light).

Well, he loves to watch people mow from a distance. But today Daddy fired up the lawn mower right next to the porch. Billy jumped with fear and darted behind my chair. Yep, they're loud up close. He wanted to watch Daddy mow, but he was scared. I picked him up and held him so he could watch, but holding 30 pounds of squirmy gets old after awhile.

So, I put him on the ground and crouched behind him. This was only acceptable if I wrapped me arms around him. Which I did. Every time I removed a hand to point to something, or scratch my nose, he would firmly take my arm and place back across him. In hindsight, crouching in jeans was a bad idea. Ok for a few minutes, not for the whole lawn.

So, I ended up relocating to a chair to save my legs. Billy was ok with this, as long as he got to sit in my lap with my arms wrapped around him.

Mowing is the most fascinating thing to him right now, and he didn't want to go do something else, but he had to have protector Mama there to keep him safe from the big bad mower.

No comments:

Post a Comment