Tuesday, September 10, 2013

September 9, 2013 ~ A Big Weekend

We had a big weekend, which included a party at the shore.

It's always hustle and bustle getting ready for a party and this was no different. I had planned on heading to the shore Friday night, but life got in the way and Billy and I didn't make it down until naptime on Saturday. Daddy was even later than that, trying to get his homework done before the big party.

Of course, he no-napped. I tried, but there's just too much to see and do to bother with napping.

He got to play with a friend that he sees rarely and play in the yard with the boats and the animals. We went for a nature walk with the boys and the ladies. I can now proudly spot poison ivy, which is prolific along the driveway- and never used to be.

 The party got into full swing at dinner time.

I, however, had been talked into a fishing demonstration. Who knew that I would be giving fishing lessons? Let's be honest, catching fish in the river isn't all that hard.

The boys "supervised". I didn't want the 3 little boys to either fight over the one small fishing pole, or to be injured by hooks, sinkers, or flopping fish.

I caught a variety, including croakers, spot and perch. I got to show the boys (and the adults) how croakers make noise and give them a quick fish anatomy lesson. I guess I'm just used to being around the river, so it's second nature to me- croakers croak. Fun to catch and toss back.

There was also the lesson about baiting the hook and showing everyone what grass shrimp look like. Lucky that we have abundant, easy to catch bait around.

Billy is quickly becoming used to the river too. He takes all of it in stride, already familiar with the rules around the water.

I have to admit, as hostess I didn't spend too much time with Billy. He was playing with the other kids, and hanging out with some of his favorite adults.

Especially, when I cleaned two fish. The younger crowd were kept well away from the docks, while I had a crowd of onlookers for the gutting of fish, and even talked a friend into cleaning the second fish.

It's definitely an eye-opener when you're used to fish from the supermarket or a restaurant where it no longer resembles the animal. It's entirely different to clean the fish yourself and then cook it and eat it. I think I may have scarred a few people with that experience.


Sunday was more of the same. It was an overnight party, so the crowd was still there in the morning. In the afternoon a few of us took Billy, the last kid at the party, down to the point for swimming. Although it had been a warm day, it unfortunately was turning cold. But we skipped rocks and made a castle in the sand.

And by the time we drove home Billy had passed out from all of the fun and slept through dinner, all the way to morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment