Monday, March 25, 2013

Palm Sunday Weekend 2013

You know what happens when I'm excessively busy? I don't make it to the computer to post. I've been busy at work, busy at home.

Actually, it's kind of a funny story for what was going to be Thursday's post. Billy kept telling me about the alligator under the bed and how he needed to put his shoes on and had to be careful. This was randomly in the car, so not even related to bedtime. I was telling the story on Saturday and come to find out that his rendition closely resembles a children's book about an alligator under the bed. Here I thought he was super inventive, but he was just telling me the story he heard at school most likely.

Friday was a boring day. Nothing to report.

Saturday we started our day with a pillow pile. I pulled all of the cushions off of the couch and we took turns diving into the pillows. He thought this was the best thing ever. We got to "swim" in pillows.

After that we broke out the play dough. Billy decided to use it to "paint" his nails.

Well, at least it's blue.

After nap we went shopping. Carter's was having a sale and I'm in the market for a decent Easter outfit. No luck on that. But Billy did get to pick out his very own shoes. They don't fit him yet- maybe another few months, although he wants to wear them starting yesterday.

Oh yes. They have a collection of balls down the side that light up when he walks. I did my best to capture the awesomeness that is the light up shoes in this picture. I think I failed miserably. They are silver and navy blue.

After the shopping adventure it was off to see Gammy.

I know what you're asking... wait, who's Gammy? We've got Grandma, and Nana (Peepop's wife) and dearly departed Grandmother. Gammy is a good friend of Grandma. You know how some of your parents' friends are around so often they feel like family? That's Gammy (as she's requested to be called). She's not the only close family friend that I grew up with, but a very dear one to be sure.

Our little afternoon visit ran on so late that Billy didn't get to bed until well after bedtime. That's okay, gabbing with Gammy was worth it. Besides, Grandma and Gammy don't get to see each other nearly enough.

~

Palm Sunday

Well, we opted to go to the kids Mass very early in the morning. Palm Sunday is perhaps the longest Mass of the year, so fortunately they kept it short. That's relative- it was still well over an hour, but at least it wasn't the full High Mass that I usually go to. Billy wouldn't not have cooperated.

He was very good for Mass. It helped that he had a palm frond to inspect and play with until Daddy took it away. Billy bopped the head of the lady in the pew in front of us. Unfortunately, Daddy bopped Billy in the nose in the process of extricating the palm frond. That sent him into high-pitched wails just in time for Communion. But he was very well-behaved otherwise. We did have to make two trips to the potty- both successful. And he kept asking about the smell (incense).

I think the big thing that kept him quiet was that he wanted to see baby Jesus. The last time we were in Church he did get to see baby Jesus in the beautiful nativity scene in one of the smaller chapels. But, Christmas is over and the Nativity scene long put away. I took him up to the altar to look at the crucifix instead.

"But, Mommy, that's big Jesus"

"I know. But that last time we were here was his birthday. Now he's big. He grew up."

Okay, well, he bought it- for now. How does one explain the mystery that is religion to a two-year-old?



I know! Let's ask the Easter Bunny.

We got home from Church and headed over to the annual neighborhood Easter Egg Hunt.



It was bitterly cold, but the kids showed up in force. They all ran around collecting as many eggs as they can. Since I was on the hiding committee, I kept Billy from collecting more than 10 so that all of the kids could get some. I swear all of the eggs were gone in less than 5 minutes.

Two boys and their grandma showed up late to the hunt and missed out. I asked Billy if he would be okay with sharing. He went up to the boys and handed each of them an egg from his very own basket. Then he went around offering up other eggs to other children to make sure than everyone got one. I didn't tell him to do it. I asked him if he wanted to share. He did it of his own accord.

He also got to visit with the Easter Bunny.


Yes, he's creepy. We're going to see if we can't get the bunny some better digs for next year. Despite that, Billy was SO excited to meet the bunny. He followed him (really a her) around until the Easter Bunny's mom picked him (her) up in a car and drove away.

You should see Billy's face when he talks about the meeting the Easter Bunny. Smile from ear to ear. He can't wait for the Easter Bunny to come by on Easter and fill his basket with candy.

Look, Ma! The Easter Bunny is real!

No comments:

Post a Comment