Monday, October 24, 2011

October 23, 2011 ~ Feverish Fun

Billy woke up very late today- 10:30, which is about 3 hours later than he normally wakes up. Not that I'm complaining- I got to sleep in.

He started his morning with cheerios, yogurt bites, apples, a chocolate cupcake and a cinnamon bun. Yup, a very healthy, well-rounded meal. He also drank two whole bottles of milk. But, Daddy gavce him all of those sweets, so I imagine he was thirsty.

Today during play he learned how to use a foot stool. Grandma got him his very own for his birthday. So, I thought him how to step up so he can wash up and brush his teeth. He washed his hands three times before I finally made him get down.

Grandma came over during naptime so I could go get some errands done. When I returned, she was feeding Billy some mac'n'cheese that I had made for his lunch. He was shoving whole handfuls of it into his mouth. Noodles were escaping down his sleeves and down his shirt front. It was a total noodle explosion.

After Grandma left, I noticed he was feeling hot. Our thermometer wasn't working, so I grabbed Billy and the thermometer and ran out to Radio Shack so I could replace the battery and check his temp. What happened next is why I hate that you can't get mercury thermometers to use as a back up.

So the clerk tells me that he's totally sold out of the battery I need. Ok, where can I get one? "Um, I dunno." Are there any stores nearby that sell them? "Um, I dunno." Are there any Radio Shacks that have them in stock? (Are you serious? Come on, this is Customer Service 101). So he pulls up the list of stores on his computer and starts reading them off to me. Ok, do any of them have it in stock? "I dunno." Can you call them and ask? "Ok, they have 2 and will put one on hold for you. But they, like, close at six, and um, well, you'd have to get there before then." Ok, I just told you that my baby has a fever and I need that battery. I'm 15 minutes away from the next store and it's 4:30. Did he think I was going for a stroll in the park to stare at the trees? Blah, annoyed.

A 15 minute jaunt to fetch a new battery turned into an hour and a half dragging around a sick lil man, who was very quiet and understanding through the whole process. So I brought him home, took his temp (101.3), gave him meds, and then gave him ice cream. Ice cram always made me feel better when I was little with a fever. Poor guy.

Daddy came home with dinner and Billy went straight to helping him cook. Clearly, he was feeling better. He tried some of the soup, but it was too peppery for him. Then he tried the grilled squash- not his favorite. He used to eat pureed squash, but of course, this has a different texture. Then he tried some broccolini. Nope.

But when Mommy sat down to eat he wanted what Mommy was eating. He didn't want Daddy's food. Nope. Mommy's. He wanted to take my fork from me, as it turned out, so he could feed me for a change. He would pick up a morsel from my plate and hand it to me. Very sweet, kinds messy, and I had to keep him away from the fish. He's never had seafood, not interested in food testing on a fever.

After dinner he ran around happy as a clam. He giggled with delight over his toy ducks. He put the toy cds into his toy cd player over and over again, squealing with glee.

Then it was bedtime and he waved goodnight to Daddy. He went to bed, still feverish, but happy. I guess yesterday I was right, he's got a bug. I hope it's over quick and he'll be back on his feet for all of the festivities next weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment