Wednesday, July 3, 2013

July 2, 2013 ~ The Little Fisherman

I grew up around water. I mean REALLY grew up around water. I could fish, crab, swim and sail and handle a power boat long before I could ever drive a car. It's second nature to me.

Billy's turn.

Only, this time around, I have to wonder...

Daddy just bought him is very own fishing rod. Now, when I say fishing rod, I mean it looks like a fishing rod, but really it's a toy. No hook (there's a rubber fish in lieu of a hook) and a push button release for the line. It reels in the same way. Oh, and it's a Mickey Mouse fishing rod. All of maybe 3 feet long.

Granted, I'd never give a fishing rod with a hook on it to a 2 year old without serious supervision... aka me holding the rod and letting him help me reel it in. I'd never let him cast it.

But when I was little, I learned with a real rod with a real hook on it. We baited the line and I wasn't allowed to cast, just to drop it into the water. Casting came later when I was older. I have no idea how old I was when I learned to fish. Not very old, since my hatred of fishing goes way back. (Sitting in the sweltering sun waiting to catch a tiny fish you can't eat is not all that appealing. Little different now that I'm older... bigger fish and beer.)

I'm wondering how this will play out with Billy learning to fish on a rod that is hookless. Daddy is already teaching him to cast. They were fishing in the back yard last night. I'm wondering if it will make him (and us) blase to the real dangers with fishing. Hooks are sharp. I've seen plenty of people stab themselves with one. Nasty things, hooks.

Just another thing to add to the list of uber-safety for the little ones. Not sure if it's better than when I was growing up. I made it out alright. I guess we'll find out in 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment