Monday, March 4, 2013

March 3, 2013 ~ Planes and More Planes

Sometimes I don't post because I'm too busy at work. Sometimes because I'm too tired at the end of the day with chores and the daily routine. And sometimes it's because I'm not near a computer.

Thursday night I had to work late. Very late. Big project.

While I was at work, Daddy was tasked with providing me an empty suitcase (not an easy feat in our house). The result of that activity was this:

Billy decided he would go with me and packed himself into the suitcase. "Okay, Mommy. I'm ready to go!"

No worries, I didn't actually pack my son into a suitcase. Instead, he went to the Air and Space Museum with Daddy.

I'm not sure why he's carrying a christmas bow through the museum. Better not to ask these questions, right?

(above photos courtesy of Daddy)

I, however, was dealing with a different airplane. The kind you ride on to far off, tropical places. Unfortunately, this particular tropical locale was having a bout of winter. Possibly the only winter weekend for the whole year and I got lucky enough to be there for it. I painted my toes and packed my bathing suit, but both were for naught. Too cold for bare feet or swimming.

Despite the weather, we trekked to the beach anyway.

This picture means nothing to you, but everything to me. I have so many memories of this place, 30 year old memories that are still fresh. Grandpop caught lots of fish off of this pier. And Grandma warned my toddler self about climbing on those rocks. Well, Grandma, I climbed on them this weekend and came away unscathed! The last time I stood there was 1985. We would have continued to go there every year, but with great sadness, Grandma's aunt passed away and she was the reason to visit this particular piece of paradise.

Still on the pier, now the beach is behind me. I swam in that water (not this weekend), caught starfish and collected seashells (again not this weekend). Far in the distance is a little pink speck of a building. It's actually a massive hotel. I always knew it fondly as the "Pink Don".

Long, long ago I used to beg my parents to take me in the ice cream parlor on the first floor of the Pink Don. I am happy to report that the ice cream parlor is still there, and the ice cream is delicious!

Wait, who's that beautiful and very pregnant lady next to me? Billy's godmother. (It stands to reason that this particular trip had something to do with her).

Anyways, I didn't get to see Billy all weekend, but Daddy reports that he is still alive, so that's good. Right?





No comments:

Post a Comment